Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 9 – Sunday, July 17

Vienna pics on Facebook

Today I went to Vienna with 5 other students. Two from Italy, one from Canada (but she is Romanian), one from Turkey, and one from Uruguay.

We left the dorm at 8am and took a taxi to the train station. It was a 2.5 hour ride to Vienna. When we got there we happened to stumble across a film festival. The food there was amazing! The best meal I have had so far. I had chicken cordon bleu with spatzel “hash” which was fried in a huge cast iron skillet with crispy onions. Mmm!

We toured around led by Emre from Turkey. We saw 3 cathedrals. Two were open so we went inside. We also saw Mozart’s house. We had dinner pretty early so we could catch our train back. I really got a good feel for the city even though we only had 7 hours there. Vienna is incredibly beautiful. The buildings are so tall and ornate. Here are my pictures from the day. I also learned about Sacher Torte which is from Vienna and is very popular in Italy. We had a piece at dinner.

We took the subway / train / bus / tram back to Graz and got back at 10:30pm. After a video chat with Mitch, I did my reading homework (100 pages of the 1991 SSP report) in preparation for Monday. Late night! ISU is living up to its name so far: Insufficient Sleep University. Hopefully Monday I can get to bed early.

One nice thing about the Graz and Vienna tours was that I was able to get lots of steps for the “Boeing on the Move” challenge! Back home, I am competing with my teammates at Boeing for the most steps. I have to wear a pedometer every day until July 31 when the competition ends. You can convert exercise and various activities into steps as well. Even though I don’t have any time to exercise, I am doing lots of walking – at least 3 miles a day. The Graz and Vienna tours helped me get from 86% of my goal to 96% of my goal! I have two weeks left and I’m trying to get up to a daily average of 10,000 steps. So far I am at 268,459 steps since June 20 when the program began. :-)

No comments: