Monday, July 28, 2008

Another week begins....

The Dark Knight was about what I expected. It was violent, dark, fast-paced, action-packed, and filled with stunning special effects. Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine were excellent as usual. Heath Ledger's performance was phenomenal. I knew it was going to be good, and he did not disappoint! He was totally unpredictable and off the wall. Since I don't know the comics, this was my first exposure to Two-Face. It's an interesting question: is a guy who decides whether to do good or evil really evil if he leaves his decisions to "chance?" He's obviously one of the "bad" guys, but you feel a little sorry for him which is intentional, I'm sure.

The Space Settlement Design Competition was really fun! Saturday, I helped teach the Structures session. We had an architect named Laurie on the presentation team - she did most of the technical info. I presented the teamwork aspect at the beginning. Each of the four departments (structures, human engineering, operations, automation) had a separate technical session to learn what they needed to know to perform their tasks. After all the technical sessions the teams assembled back into the 4 companies and began to work on their proposals. (On Sunday, after church, I came back to help as a Red Team member. Basically, we were giving the kids a chance to have some pre-judging feedback from the Technical Experts. Each team had about 2 hours with 2-8 Red Team members. I was there until 9:30 pm! The projects have come a long way in 2 days. I am very impressed with what they have done. The presentations and judging will be today. Winners will be announced from 4 to 5pm in the Blastoff Theater at Space Center Houston. I wish I could go...

Saturday evening I saw "Rob Roy" for the first time. That was a fantastic movie! I love anything about Scotland, first of all. It's just a quirky obsession I have. I love the culture, the music, and the passion of the people as evidenced by their history. The movie told the story of a Scottish clansman who became entangled with the English lords when he borrowed money from them. It is a tale of love, revenge, honor, and courage. I highly recommend it for those who haven't seen it. If nothing else, the landscape and the music alone are worth seeing/hearing!

So the weekend was very busy, and yes... I am tired as I expected. There's a lot going on this week. I'm a little overwhelmed by my "to-do" list right now - especially since my parents will be visiting next week!

No comments: