Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Bullet Journaling

Bullet Journaling is a fantastic system for capturing and organizing all your various lists and thoughts. Getting things out of your head and onto paper really helps to clear your mind so you can prioritize and focus on what needs to be done right now. One of the best features of the system is that it is entirely adaptable to your needs once you learn the basics. I first heard about Bullet Journaling on the Pen Addict podcast. Brad and Myke interviewed Ryder Carroll, the inventor of the Bullet Journal system, in episodes 70, 124, and 255. Brian Goulet also interviewed him last year.

If you haven't been to Ryder's website and watched the intro video yet, it's a great place to start to get the basics:
http://bulletjournal.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/RyderCarroll

My friend Sarah put together a wonderful BuJo 101 presentation here.

Ryder's TED talk is very inspirational. Sit down with a notebook and take some notes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6OYelD5fA&t=3s

After that, I'd recommend BohoBerry for beautiful layout ideas:
https://www.bohoberry.com/
https://www.instagram.com/boho.berry/
https://www.instagram.com/tinyrayofsunshine/

My favorite markers for BuJo:
Sakura Pigma Micron markers
Staedtler Triplus Fineliners
Paper Mate Flair

Boho Berry's favorite pens:
Faber Castell PITT Artist Pen
Tombow Dual Brush Pens

Some good notebooks:
Rhodia (very fountain pen friendly)
Leuchtturm (has numbered pages, saves time if you want to use an index)
Traveler's Notebook (flexible system that allows you to use separate books)

Here is my system.

I have separate books for work and home. It would be useful to have everything in one book if I worked at home and didn't have to transport things back and forth, or if I were a student and "home" was an extension of school. But for my week, it's easier to leave my home book at home and my my work book at work. I use email as the link between them. If I'm at work and I think of something I need to do that night or that weekend, I write myself an email with the task as the subject line and nothing in the body so that I can move those things into my weekend list. If it is something I can do quickly when I get home then I just do it, archive the email, and don't even bother writing it down. For me, this is all about efficiency. Less time capturing and organizing my lists means more time getting things done.

One thing that is helpful is deciding what you do NOT need to track or list. Some people list absolutely everything - wake up, brush teeth, make bed, dishes, etc. Last year, when I started bullet journaling, I decided there were certain things I did not need to list out. There are some things I know I will do every day and writing it down would just be a waste of time for me, i.e. everything I wrote above. This keeps my to do list short and purposeful.

These are Ryder's recommended symbols for tasks, events, and notes, but you can use whatever works for you:

dot = task
x = completed
> = migrated
< = scheduled
- = note
o = event
strikethru = irrelevant (or no longer relevant)
* = priority signifier

(snapshot from the Bullet Journal app)


Here's how I do it: 
  • Strikethrough = complete
  • Double Strikethrough = removed from list
  • Strikethrough with arrow at the end = migrate

At home I use a regular size Traveler's Notebook. It sits on my kitchen counter and it's always open to my weekly list. A Traveler's Notebook is a system that allows you to put multiple notebooks into one soft leather cover. My TN has 3 inserts: the first is a place where I can write down cute stories about the kids, the next one is my "currently inked" log from Pen Habit, the third is my actual to do list. I use one spread per week. The left is usually blank except for random notes or side-lists that need to get categorized later such as letters to write or a packing list. On the right side is always my to do list for the week. I don't do the month at a glance or future log like a real bullet journal because I find that's redundant to my google calendar. My main use for this journal is to collect through the week what I need to do that weekend, and that's really it.

My favorite TN inserts are: 
TN Refill 013 - 128 pages of blank 52gsm Tomoe River paper, lasts forever! 
Goulet Refills - 52gsm and 68gsm Tomoe available in dot grid, lined, blank
Currently Inked log from Pen Habit
Zipper Pocket

At work I use a Hobonichi Weeks. I love the layout for work. On the left I write out my major meetings, reviews, deadlines, or events and on the right is my task list for the week. Short and sweet and focused. At the end of each week I "migrate" what didn't get done over to the next week. It is handy to quickly be able to look back at 4-5 weeks of crossed off lists to see what I accomplished that month or what took up the most time. The Hobo is Tomoe River paper, so it's fountain pen friendly.

I really enjoy looking at all the beautiful bullet journals in my instagram feed on a daily basis. But I tried doing that in my Leuchtturm once and it took so long that I decided it was not for me. My work planner (Hobonichi Weeks) already has a built in layout that's perfect for me and my home system is only 1 page per week. I also use google calendar for appointments. I tried the bujo habit tracker once and that just made me crazy. It's so important to try different things and do what works for you. It took me a good year to figure out the system that works for me and my life.

I love the copper clips from The Container Store. The page flags are Happy Planner accessories from Hobby Lobby.

Cover of my Traveler's Notebook

Currently Inked Log

Layout for Home

Hobonichi Weeks for Work


 


No comments: