Monday, August 12, 2013

Preparing for Rainier


It might be a good time to mention that I have never conquered a 14,000 foot peak. I've always loved mountains but we didn't do many mountain trips when I was growing up. In 2008, Mitch exposed me to 14ers for the first time. We hiked around Mount Evans from the upper lake, but I could see that 14ers were no joke - especially if you live at sea level. We didn't get very far that day, but I caught the mountain bug for sure! The views are spectacular.

In 2009, Mitch took me backpacking for the first time. We camped at Fern Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) and attempted Flattop (12,324) on that trip but the weather got bad and we had to turn around before the summit. We were very close. In 2010, I trained harder and we backpacked to Lawn Lake also in RMNP and attempted Hagues Peak (13,500) but did not make it all the way. I think the reason I couldn't make it is that the first day, we had climbed 6 miles with our packs and I just didn't have the energy on the second day. Last September, we made it to the Long's Peak (14,255) Keyhole (13,300) in RMNP, about 1000 vertical feet from the top. We were not planning to go beyond the keyhole that day because it gets very tricky after that and we didn't start early enough. The Keyhole was the "summit" for me and it was a fantastic hike! 

So with my track record of unsuccessful summit attempts, why do I think this time will be different? The Long's trip last year gives me a lot of confidence. That was a 12.5 mile round trip with 4000 feet of vertical in one day. Rainier is an 18 mile round trip with 9000 feet of vertical in two days. I also think we are in better shape than last year. In February, we ran a half marathon together. I also feel confident that we're using a great guide service, RMI Expeditions. What I'm most worried about isn't the physical exertion, it's the technical aspects of the climb: using crampons, ropes, and ice axes. I've never done any of that before so I have no idea how quickly I'll pick it up. I'm also worried about the psychological challenges. How will I handle the steep, icy slopes and walking over crevasses on ladders in crampons? Only one way to find out. But just 8 months ago, I didn't think I could run 13.1 miles.

All the same, we're going to do a dry run in Colorado the weekend before we head to Seattle. We're planning to bag a couple 14ers. It would be great if I could say I've at least done one when we get to RMI and they ask about our mountaineering experience!

1 comment:

steveb819 said...

You're going to be challenged in a way you never thought. But you can do it! BTW, I think it takes more guts to climb Rainier than flying an airplane...