Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Power of Support

I had the honor of attending the Superior Achievement and Recognition Award (SARA) ceremony with a friend from United Space Alliance last night in Galveston, TX. The accolades and accomplishments of the selected winners were quite impressive! I wanted to share one highlight of the evening with you. The keynote speech was given by Shuttle Program Manager John Shannon who reminded all the SARA recipients to thank their spouses. Without support at home, we would be so much less likely to do the amazing things we do. He shared the story that his wife went home to visit her family and ran into her high school boyfriend who is a restaurant manager. Shannon commented, "It's a noble profession. We need those! But then I got cocky." He proceeded to ask his wife, "Aren't you glad you married me? I'm the Shuttle Program Manager!" To which she responded, unblinking, "Well, honey, if I would have married him... he would be the Space Shuttle Program Manager!"

So, to my dear family and friends w
ho have pushed me to pursue my dreams of working in the space program: Thank you! I wouldn't be here without your continued support!

No comments: