Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Just a quick update:

I tried to vote on Friday afternoon (last day of early voting in Harris County (Houston, TX)), but the line was crazy long - I didn't want to wait 2 hours... especially since I was wearing my Halloween costume! So I decided to go early today. I got in line at 6:50am - only about 20 people in front of me. About 7:20am I was in the voting booth - it was my first time! For the last presidential election, I voted via absentee ballot in FL for Missouri. 2 elections, 2 states - where will I be in 2012? I definitely had a huge sense of pride today walking back to my car having cast my ballot! I'm very excited about watching the results tonight. It's hard to think about anything else today.

I'm also excited about the FREE STUFF many companies are giving out today! After I voted, I got a free tall coffee at Starbucks. Tonight from 5pm to 8pm you can get a free Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Cone (click here). I've also heard that Krispy Kreme is offering free donuts today!

It's fun to watch the Facebook Election 2008 page as the number rises steadily towards 3 million Facebook users that have voted. I am predicting 5-6 million by end of the day. There are 110 million Facebook users worldwide (age 13 and up) according to Wikipedia, but I don't know how many of those are legal, US voters. But still, 3 million voices - that's a lot! I do hope that this election will break participation records. It's great to see people care!

Happy Election Day everybody!

No comments: